Now we see through a glass darkly

Now we see through a glass darkly
Helen Keller and her mother exemplified in the Miracle Worker

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Showing off Season?

I guess it must be nest showing season. I feel like I'm in a judging contest, or something. Motherhood is cross-species. Mrs Sparrow of Charlotte accosted me on the way to church, the way sparrows do. She wanted to show me her very creative location choice for her hatchlings.
It was exactly in the recesses of a street light. I was impressed, even though that would not have been my choice, had I been a bird and of nest building age and facility, still, I thought it was very resourceful;especially when she explained to me her reasoning.
I expressed to her my concern that it was too near the electricity which might pose a danger.
She said the current served a purpose for her in protecting her from predators who though they might be brave enough to chase them into that spot, might not be smart enough to avoid the current and be singed, if not killed altogether. I had not thought of that and said that it did make sense to me.
Her primary reason for choosing that spot was that she had intentions of having the most intelligent hatchlings she had ever laid.
She said that she would be able to read to her hatchlings and burn the midnight oil, thus giving herself more time with them to develop prowess and ingenuity. She said that she has a book of all of the facts that she neglected in each of the earlier seasons of "bird-rearing" and she reads it to them so as not to leave out one detail.
She intends for these hatchlings to be her best prepared ever and the streetlight helps her accomplish her goal.
How very different she is from Mrs. Robin, who has to run everything by Mr. Robin every season. Their relationship is good, but their hatchlings suffer. They spend hours on end bickering and fussing, this can't possibly be good for the hatchlings to see, but who am I to judge that.
Mrs. Robin is an awesome counselor and I cannot see how she finds the time to schedule in her sessions with me, with a high-maintenance family that she has and a husband that questions her every step.
I am grateful for her consideration to take me under her wing. The geese gave up after one attempt. It may be because, I just don't see them every day. They have very little patience for sullenness. Everytime I see them they make some sort of motion to let me know that I am the but of their jokes, since the rain incident.

No comments:

jayne c walker's

___________________________________________________________






_________________________________________________________________________________________________<>Robins Don't LeanBluejays Don't Beg

For the Birds?

For the Birds?
click on the picture to for an Evvie story.

Sparrow's Spring nest

Mr. and Mrs. Sparrow were caught, by me yesterday, shopping together for a new home. They flitted and flirted, just outside my window. Talking and discussing and lovingly disagreeing, if not arguing the benefits and the pitfalls of living at our house.
Mrs. Sparrow was very impressed with the 2 "ready made" nests hung outside our window. Mr. Sparrow hadn't even thought of them as "ready-made" nests. He used them for the provision of building materials for the private home that he had in mind in a surprise and hidden place. He doesn't like the openness, at all, of our porch. It's much too populated. When Mr. Sparrow gets it into his mind to give his sweet chicky a peck, he wants the freedom to do it without a bunch of younguns peeking over the nest to see what comes next.
Mrs. Sparrow was impressed that the porch was fully protected from hailstones. We all know what happened to a great many of last years' nests in that surprise hailstorm we had. Male birds seem to have a very short memory for storms. They have only one thing in mind in the nest building season... 03/09