Now we see through a glass darkly

Now we see through a glass darkly
Helen Keller and her mother exemplified in the Miracle Worker

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Everyday

I have a break at about 10 am or so and a few weeks ago, I started to notice some bird couples around our buildings. I have to call them different names, because I don't really know what they all are.
Young master bluejay took his new girlfriend home to meet his folks, just before Easter Sunday. They made sure I saw them, by flying right in front of me and giggling as they nearly hopped off the car and then giggled away into the brush. I haven't seen them to talk to since. It has been 2 days. They are usually very busy talking, or should I say cheeping at eachother. They haven't seemed to notice that I would like an update on what the folks thought.
Well, anyway, the robins have been together for a while. Since the teaparty, they follow me. Actually, Mrs. Robin follows me and Mr Robin follows Mrs. Robin as she follows me. He is not happy about our relationship. She doesn't really follow me, we just meet up together from time to time. She especially shows up, for instance, if she gets any inkling that I may be pacing for some reason. She's trying to show me how to keep my job. Humans don't pace at work, she told me. They may fret, but they don't pace. Okay, I said, and stopped pacing at once. Pacing is a very hard habit to stop, all of a sudden, so I am glad that I have Mrs. Robin to remind me of little things like that.
We have so many beautiful flowers budding in the courtyard and I was privileged to catch the happy couple shopping for the finishing touches on their nest. Mr. Robin, still doesn't know what to make of our relationship. He is very posessive of Mrs. Robin's time and thinks that the gossip that she and I share is undermining her responsibilities; getting ready to lay her eggs. This doesn't daunt her in the least. She has been through this egg thing a couple of times before; so it is no big deal to her.
The robins argue every day, because Mrs. Robin refuses to let Mr. Robin tell her the color scheme and he is very bossy. I noticed, though that he quickly gives in, if she can give him some good reason for her particular stem or leaf choice. He enjoys earth tones and thinks that hatchlings need as little color as possible, so they are inspired to eat, grow and fly off. Mother Robin is completely the opposite.

No comments:

jayne c walker's

___________________________________________________________






_________________________________________________________________________________________________<>Robins Don't LeanBluejays Don't Beg

For the Birds?

For the Birds?
click on the picture to for an Evvie story.

Sparrow's Spring nest

Mr. and Mrs. Sparrow were caught, by me yesterday, shopping together for a new home. They flitted and flirted, just outside my window. Talking and discussing and lovingly disagreeing, if not arguing the benefits and the pitfalls of living at our house.
Mrs. Sparrow was very impressed with the 2 "ready made" nests hung outside our window. Mr. Sparrow hadn't even thought of them as "ready-made" nests. He used them for the provision of building materials for the private home that he had in mind in a surprise and hidden place. He doesn't like the openness, at all, of our porch. It's much too populated. When Mr. Sparrow gets it into his mind to give his sweet chicky a peck, he wants the freedom to do it without a bunch of younguns peeking over the nest to see what comes next.
Mrs. Sparrow was impressed that the porch was fully protected from hailstones. We all know what happened to a great many of last years' nests in that surprise hailstorm we had. Male birds seem to have a very short memory for storms. They have only one thing in mind in the nest building season... 03/09