Now we see through a glass darkly

Now we see through a glass darkly
Helen Keller and her mother exemplified in the Miracle Worker

Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Cardinal Family

had made a habit of meeting up in the evergreen in front of the building, but because of their privacy, I was not up to making their acquaintance. They are beautiful and perhaps their beauty dissuaded me from pursuing them. Mrs Robin was very persistent with me that day. It seemed that she wanted to show me something and I followed her.
I was walking around the building and had almost past her and I just love how she caught my attention. Very carefully and stealthily, with barely a sound or a flutter, she leapt from branch to branch and I thought she was playing with me or something. "Wait", Wait" she said. She doesn't usually cause me to be late from my break, all birds are very timely, you know. (They don't even make the acquaintance of anyone who has no care for time) I was just about to leave her right there, when on the last branch she had leapt upon was the nest.
I had seen robins' nests before, but this one was special because of Mrs. Robins' special interest in me. Not ostentatious at all, with just the most impressive touches of color. She hadn't placed it in a bunch of leaves on that branch, just tucked on a bare branch which would eventually bloom with leafiness. At that moment it was the barest on the tree, just under some very leafy branches above it. After she showed me her nest she flew away, leaving me one minute to get to my desk...
Some things, Mrs. Robin doesn't say she just shows me. I later found out that when she flies like that, it means she intends me to do likewise. "If you fly like this you have just enough time to land at your desk at the correct time."

No comments:

jayne c walker's

___________________________________________________________






_________________________________________________________________________________________________<>Robins Don't LeanBluejays Don't Beg

For the Birds?

For the Birds?
click on the picture to for an Evvie story.

Sparrow's Spring nest

Mr. and Mrs. Sparrow were caught, by me yesterday, shopping together for a new home. They flitted and flirted, just outside my window. Talking and discussing and lovingly disagreeing, if not arguing the benefits and the pitfalls of living at our house.
Mrs. Sparrow was very impressed with the 2 "ready made" nests hung outside our window. Mr. Sparrow hadn't even thought of them as "ready-made" nests. He used them for the provision of building materials for the private home that he had in mind in a surprise and hidden place. He doesn't like the openness, at all, of our porch. It's much too populated. When Mr. Sparrow gets it into his mind to give his sweet chicky a peck, he wants the freedom to do it without a bunch of younguns peeking over the nest to see what comes next.
Mrs. Sparrow was impressed that the porch was fully protected from hailstones. We all know what happened to a great many of last years' nests in that surprise hailstorm we had. Male birds seem to have a very short memory for storms. They have only one thing in mind in the nest building season... 03/09