Now we see through a glass darkly

Now we see through a glass darkly
Helen Keller and her mother exemplified in the Miracle Worker

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Dixie Ducks and the Buzzy Bees!

Mr. Ant was carrying a find that was more than twice his size. I was giggling at the fact that he could hardly carry it. I am not on a fast and now that you’ve stopped eating bugs that means there’s more for me. I nearly died laughing that he would be so impudent with me.
Ms. Wasp was buzzing around the courtyard, simply taking in the sights. The entire bug community had marked me as on the bird’s side, until I swore off eating bugs this morning. They were afraid of me and now they are friends. I guess that is what the bees came to the front to tell me the other day and I hadn’t the time to listen. They do a lot of singing about this and that. I humor them, when I can, since I don’t speak, yellowjack. I knew it was something urgent, but that joke about the cookies and cream in my coffee this morning had made it to the grapevine a lot earlier than I had thought.


Yesterday, the bumblebee family were buzzing around the entrance as we made that turn to go into work. Whatzzzzzzzup, they buzzed. I really smiled that they were so considerate and polite to us in the morning. Almost as kind as the bees at the Patterson farm that we met while we were strawberry picking. In NY the bees are very unkind and defensive. They absolutely never give a greeting. I was shocked to see that the Patterson Farm bees were actually curious to see what the children were doing and had no intention, at all of stinging them. They had their full of strawberry blooms all day long and are especially friendly to children. They seem to have a bumble choir that greet the children with songs at the water fountain.

We welcome you to our strawberries,
We hope that you have fun,
The sweetness of our strawberries,
Are joys for everyone.

Ez and I heard them, but the NC children seem to be used to this gracious welcome from the bees. We were still standing there listening to the tunes that they were singing, when everyone else had gone to lunch.


It looked like among the flowers, Ms. Dandy-lion was perfectly crocheted in circles, in the flower bed. I am sure that the caretaker won’t have it. He always checks for weeds. I don’t know why such a beautiful leaf structure, should be considered a weed. The flower is not so pretty as the pansies and the hyacinths, for sure. But, I do wish that I could crochet a circle as perfect as the Ms Dandy’s leaves.

We have patches of tulips and hyacinths as well as the pansies to delight us, outside. They are getting along prodigiously. This is quite unlike last year when the smoking hyacinths gossiped and chatted about the ivy and Mr. Tree’s short acquaintance. As I recall, it was the talk of the courtyard. She had gotten all the way up to the branches, before they all ridiculed her to shame. She thought that she was going to the top of the garden with him and she died of a broken heart. Sad year it was for Ms. Ivy and the hyacinths just laughed her to scorn.



Today the Duck chicks met me at the entrance. I was so delighted to see them. They were like the Dixie chicks. Evidently it was morning practice for them for the Easter concert. They are doing a special Easter Sunday Song for service. It was a pretty song, in quack, although, I couldn’t make out the words. I was sure that it was God glorifying.
They were quite a trio and Ma Duck had trained them well to take Holy Week to practice their parts. Daisy Duck doesn’t like taking the lower harmony. She thinks that she is supposed to be a soprano, but she keeps cracking. I won’t be pigeonholed, she said, pardon the pun. Pigeonholed or Gooseholed, it really doesn’t matter, You are supposed to hit that low note and It doesn’t sound Quacky unless you do. I love to watch the sisters argue. It is familiar fondness that sisters can’t seem to find the note, no matter what we do.

No comments:

jayne c walker's

___________________________________________________________






_________________________________________________________________________________________________<>Robins Don't LeanBluejays Don't Beg

For the Birds?

For the Birds?
click on the picture to for an Evvie story.

Sparrow's Spring nest

Mr. and Mrs. Sparrow were caught, by me yesterday, shopping together for a new home. They flitted and flirted, just outside my window. Talking and discussing and lovingly disagreeing, if not arguing the benefits and the pitfalls of living at our house.
Mrs. Sparrow was very impressed with the 2 "ready made" nests hung outside our window. Mr. Sparrow hadn't even thought of them as "ready-made" nests. He used them for the provision of building materials for the private home that he had in mind in a surprise and hidden place. He doesn't like the openness, at all, of our porch. It's much too populated. When Mr. Sparrow gets it into his mind to give his sweet chicky a peck, he wants the freedom to do it without a bunch of younguns peeking over the nest to see what comes next.
Mrs. Sparrow was impressed that the porch was fully protected from hailstones. We all know what happened to a great many of last years' nests in that surprise hailstorm we had. Male birds seem to have a very short memory for storms. They have only one thing in mind in the nest building season... 03/09